On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Laura Abbott <labb...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2017 09:43 AM, mcatanz...@gnome.org wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:41 AM, James Hogarth <james.hoga...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pretty sure the last testing I did with the details form Hans's blog[0]
>>> the behaviour was that if the nvidia driver failed then the nouveau driver
>>> was a fallback (rather than the older instructions that totally blacklisted
>>> it leaving no GPU at all).
>>

>> If that fallback is working, then I guess that's fine. (Though I'm not
>> speaking for the whole Working Group here... perhaps others expect it to
>> always work, I'm not sure.)
>>
>> But if Negativo users start complaining that their computers don't boot
>> anymore, then we'll definitely need to stop doing major kernel updates
>> ("taking the entire distro hostage" I guess) as the Negativo support is
>> important for product strategy. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> I appreciate that not having the nVidia driver work is not a good
> experience but we choose to do major kernel updates multiple times
> per release for many reasons. One of the biggest is that kernel
> versions eventually go EOL and no longer get official updates
> from the community (see https://www.kernel.org/ that 4.12 is now
> EOL). We have no hope of trying to sync to a LTS release and it's
> not feasible right now to have the two kernel maintainers try and
> manage our own stable release. Moving to a new major kernel version
> is the best way to provide bug fixes and security updates to
> Fedora users. It's not a perfect process by any means but any
> ideas about process improvement need to take that into account as
> well.

I would be extremely upset if we did move to longterm kernels. I use
Fedora precisely because I get current, up to date, relatively close
to vanilla builds of the kernel. If the Workstation WG is having
trouble with their current arrangement, then they should be exerting
pressure to fix the situation from NVIDIA's side, not Fedora's.

For that matter, if they *really* want that, then why not talk to NVIDIA
to have them set up an official repository that builds everything
properly (like negativo and RPM Fusion) and tracks our kernels and
builds kmod packages, just like they do for openSUSE Leap and
Tumbleweed.

It's not even difficult to do, since they clearly have an OBS that
supports tracking kernels and building kmod packages correctly. Just
have them build it for our distribution like they do for openSUSE and
publish. Then the WG can use that and stop trying to "hold the
distribution hostage".