On 07/16/2018 11:15 AM, Miro Hrončok wrote:

> This is just a reminder that nobody stepped up to maintain Python 2
> after 2020. We still need to start dropping python2 packages.
>
> What shall we do from here? File a Fedora System Wide Change Proposal
> for Fedora 30 that nothing explicitly white-listed to require Python 2
> will be removed from Fedora? Can we even do that?

How would you construct the whitelist?

> For context - there are currently 708 leaf packages [1](above).
>
> Except several tools and applications, those are all modules that
> nothing in Fedora depends on. If we remove some, others only required by
> them will become leaf-packages as well.
>
> We also have 1220 py2 only packages out of which plenty are probably
> unneeded modules as well, although we don't have the numbers.
>
> As stated in the above e-mail in March, we are willing to support
> python2 for several (small number) of tools or apps. But we will not
> support it for 3 thousands of unused, unknown modules.
>
> Python 2 will EOL in less than 1.5 year.

Could we perhaps look at moving python2 and everything that wants to use
it into a module? I think that might make it more clear that it's not
part of base Fedora and when it goes eol in f32 we drop it? That would
take a lot of effort and duplication tho.

I don't think we want to drag this out too long... a clear call to drop
all python2 in 31 (or I suppose f30) would be helpful and avoid some
people dropping something other packages need, etc.

kevin