On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 17.7.2018 14:16, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 6:18 PM, Charalampos Stratakis
>> <cstra...@redhat.com> wrote:

I was explaining why reasonable people involved in Fedora would care.
I'm not saying never do it. It also happened with the perl 4 to perl 5
upgrade, for those of us who remember that, and when apache 1.x became
httpd 2.x, and when Ruby updated to 2.x. Parallel support is possible
and sometimes necessary.

What's happening now with Python has been pretty good, and I applaud
the maintainers who've been forwarding Python 2 modules and the
occasionally messy but overall effective logic of building parallel
python2 and python3 modules.  Python 2 *does* need to be replaced as
the default. And I think at some point the logic will need to be
reversed, that "with_python2" becomes the flag needed for building
those older package, instead of the current "with_python3". That is
going to be a pain in the *fundament* to port.

> I (and now I'm speaking strictly for myself, other Fedora Python maintainers
> might have different opinion) won't spend my free time to maintain something
> I don't like just to support your commercial work. Will you? I don't have
> enough resources in my paid time to support Python 2 in Fedora **on the
> current scale**. That's what this topic was all about. Reduce the cruft, so
> we can keep it and support it in our paid time to support both commercial
> and non-commercial work. If not reduced, we cannot do that.

Your logic is sound. I publish patches to Fedora authors out of
enlightened self interest for my paid work with RHEL and CentOS, and
occasionally for the challenge of getting stuff into the bleeding edge
systems. When RHEL 8 comes out, I hope it will be Python 3 based and
I'll have the tools to mostly ignore Python 2, fostered by the good
work happening in Fedora.