On 15/07/2019 15:56, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:52:50AM +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
Could you explain a bit more how this (keeps) working? I think my
mental model of how Fedora repositories work in the case of multilib
devel packages is a bit flawed. At first I assumed that this suggestion
would kill that. Because I was under the impression that it worked by
having the i386 repository be part of the x86_64 package repository. So
removing the i686 repositories would mean removing all 32bit packages
from x86_64. But from your explanation above it seems that is not how
it works. So if there are no i686 repositories, then where/how do the
32bit multilib packages come from?

I think I am mixing up buildroots, koji targets, repositories in my
mind.

Let me second that request. It would be great if somebody could
summarize the steps that lead to 32bit packages being installable on
amd64 machines. I know how the beginning (compilation in the
appropriate chroot), and the end (dnf install foo.i686), but the
middle is hazy.

It definitely doesn't work as Mark thinks because only a subset
of the i686 packages are present in the x86_64 repository.

I've never really been sure how it decides what packages to
include but certainly the idea here that every 32 bit package
that you might need on a 64 bit system is present is false
because I actually have a list of additional packages that
get copied over in my local mirror ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)