On Tue, 2019-09-17 at 16:56 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 17. 09. 19 16:39, jkone...@redhat.com wrote:
> > Hi Miro,
> >
> > No, I did not wanted to tell that the python 3.8 transition was
> > badly
> > executed. The problem was more about timing.
> >
> > I was fighting with Fedora 31 and we had Rawhide as replacement for
> > F31
> > tests because the environment is usually not that different.
> > However,
> > when the switch to python 3.8 happened, there were no compose ready
> > for
> > Fedora 31. In the end we were with broken tests and even broken
> > backup
> > tests solution. I had to found third solution.
>
> As soon as Fedora branches is IMHO actually the best timing for
> making rawhide
> different. It means that people might actually stop breaking branched
> for a
> while focusing on the rawhide differences :D
>
> Either way, here are two ideas about what bothers you:
>
> 1) Stop caring about compose, test/build against koji
>
> Add the local repo to your test system (mock/copr/whatnot):
>
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/repos/f31-build/latest/x86_64/

I'm not sure you want everyone to use this mirror for everything. I
guess that is not purpose of this. Also you're loosing the benefit of
the compose could be created check.

> 2) Maybe we should freeze immediately after we branch and only allow
> compose
> fixes to go in until the first successful branched compose?

That also looks like an interesting plan. That may help to get compose
ready sooner.

> > > Pylint is never prepared for the switch. If something crucial is
> > > depending on
> > > pylint, it should stop.
> >
> > However, when you opened this discussion. Why we are not waiting
> > for
> > pylint to be ready? Is there a reason? I mean pylint is one of the
> > main
> > linters available for python, so having python without working
> > pylint
> > looks kind of fragile to me.
>
> Because pylint is never ready in time. The upstream doesn't work on
> 3.X problems
> when we do (usually responding something like: "the current pylint
> doesn't
> support 3.X, 3.X support is planned for the next release"). And that
> is
> completely fine in my POV.
>
> There are around 3000 Python 3 packages in Fedora. We carefully
> decide what
> packages we "wait" for. It's not a defined set, but mostly we look if
> the
> following works:
>
>   - default package set in blocking media
>   - critpath
>   - fedpkg, bodhi, koji, mock...
>
> pylint simply isn't blocking anything "important". Having Python
> without working
> pylint is completely fine. Linters are optional. When you want to run
> tests, you
> don't need linters. If you disagree (and that's fine as well) and
> want to make
> this better next time, you can co-maintain pylint [1] and when we
> update to 3.9,
> you can provide patches. The Python Maintenance team will not
> (because we don't
> consider pylint important).

Interesting they don't use any linters or just using different one?
Don't you know?