----- Original Message -----

I understand the need for having reasonably specified set of dates
so that people can plan their work around them. But simple triggering
branching without any prior smoke test/dry run or CI & blindly following
the dates regardless of the result does not seem like a good idea to me.

We could change the branching date to Not Earlier Than, branch on the date
and only start the countdown for the outer milestones once there is a compose
and possibly other pieces in place (Mock/Copr chroots, etc.) for people to
actually get anything done on the branched release.

> So how recent of a rawhide compose qualifies? If there's a successful
> compose in the last week, is that okay? Does it have to be the night
> before the branch point? Are there other judgments that go into (like
> in the go/no-go meeting) or is it entirely based on the compose?
>
> My initial reaction is that this in an outlier and that we shouldn't
> make structural changes to the schedule in response to outliers, but I
> wonder if there are other guardrails we can put in place.
I'm afraid this is not an outlier as compose failures still happen
very often, it was simply that we got a streak of them at the worst time
possible. In other cases they might not be so visible, but still regularly
cause pain to Fedora contributors and users.

To improve the situation there are basically two things to consider:
- what development milestones should require a successful compose before we
move forward with them
- what breaks the compose & how we can avoid it, possibly by doing dry runs/CI
runs
  on things before we introduce them to the compose cauldron