On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 03:35:11PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 12:10, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> [...]
> > The bottom line is that these tools need to support our workflows, not
> > try to shoehorn us into a particular way of working.
>
> Just writing an e-mail about the issue to the Fedora devel list will not
> change anything, maybe apart from annoying a few people. Obviously the
> notifications are useful for someone or they would not have been
> implemented. That they're not useful to you doesn't automatically mean
> they should be done away with. If you don't like the current status,
> open an issue, submit a PR or just configure them to suit your workflow.
>
> And I do sympathize as I didn't like them, either. That's why I spent
> maybe 15 minutes deleting all default notifications and adding only
> those I wanted, e.g. new version notifications, bodhi update status
> changes and koschei build status changes. The link to the configuration
> interface is in each notification e-mail.

So, indeed you can customize these notifications, which perhaps not all
maintainers are aware of.

We have a old application called "FMN" (Fedora Message Notification).
It was created when we first got our fedmsg bus up and running. The idea
was for maintainers to have one central place that they could indicate
what they wanted to be notified about and how.

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications/

You can enable IRC and email backends, and you can adjust your prefs for
what notifications you get. Package maintainers get a default setup for
package maintainers which basically says 'give me any notification that
has to do with me or packages I watch/maintain'. The ruleset setup there
is unfortunately difficult for people to understand, but it's quite
flexable.

This app has a lot of issues and we hope to do a re-write soon.
(It's tied to fedmsg instead of our new fedora-messaging bus, it's
python2 only, the interface is over complex, it has difficulty keeping
up, etc).

There are a few things that also send emails on their own.
Sadly, bodhi still does this (even though it should not) and bugzilla
does this (because we don't control it). You can disable emails in
bugzilla and just get emails about bugs in FMN tho I think.

Hope that helps,

kevin