On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 03:59:43PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> 1. Packagers MUST NOT push changes that are not considered ready to
> be built and shipped at the time of the push. Using Pull Requests
> (clearly marked as not ready to be merged) is a better place to
> present/save changes that are not ready yet.
>
> 2. Packagers SHOULD preemptively check if the changes they intend to
> push work. At least checking if the intended change builds and the
> package installs with it is strongly recommended. In cases where the
> check is skipped for time reasons (e.g. when a testing build takes
> several hours and the changes are urgent), packagers SHOULD be ready
> to fix the build/installation failure in timely manner after it is
> discovered by the actual build.

I agree with the general idea. But I think it is important that the
second part is SHOULD (as you wrote), and the text should make it clear
that there may be good reasons to push commits which haven't been
preemptively tested.

For example: packages which take a long time to build, and are known to
pseudorandomly fail on less-used architectures. Doing a 10h scratch build
just to have it pass, and then the real build fail is common. And even
if it fails, I wouldn't want to be on the hook to fix this "in a timely
manner". I'll certainly get to it at some point, but it may be a few
weeks before I have the few hours necessary to dig into some complicated
test failures.

Zbyszek