On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 10:43:33AM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 11/7/21 01:14, Rajeesh K V wrote:
> > Deltarpm did
> > reduce a lot of update download size for many years since 2007
>

> I remember seeing 60-70% reduction really often, and 90+ periodically.  I've
> read Kevin's explanation of why it's not working as well now, but I wonder
> what changed between the early implementation when results were very good
> and now, when they really aren't.

I think it's because you only see deltas from N to N+1 now and before
you saw deltas from N to N+X before. So, I think if we made it somehow
create older deltas, you would again see better savings. The issue
doesn't just cause there to be fewer deltas, but it also causes those
few be be against very recent changes, so less effective.

kevin