On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 at 04:39, Rajeesh K V <rajeeshknamb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I remember seeing 60-70% reduction really often, and 90+ periodically.
> > > I've
> > > read Kevin's explanation of why it's not working as well now, but I wonder
> > > what changed between the early implementation when results were very good
> > > and now, when they really aren't.
> >
> > I think it's because you only see deltas from N to N+1 now and before
> > you saw deltas from N to N+X before. So, I think if we made it somehow
> > create older deltas, you would again see better savings. The issue
> > doesn't just cause there to be fewer deltas, but it also causes those
> > few be be against very recent changes, so less effective.
>
> Would it make sense (and possible to implement fairly easily) to
> generate deltas weekly instead of daily? That may already be a good
> start; as I’d imagine bandwidth constrained users would generally try
> to update on a weekly or monthly basis.

Not easily for 2 reasons:

1. deltas are package to package and many packages rev 4-6 times a
week (I am looking at you, kernel). So a once a week delta update
would have to make deltas against each of those packages for both
people who are resource constrained and those who are not.
2. Each 'compose' of Fedora is like a manufacturing line where if you
turn off some part, the rest after that point break because something
they expect is not there. If we turn off deltas altogether, we can
clean up various bits that were expected afterwards but someone would
need to do that work while doing all the usual work.

So you would need to set up a seperate compose pipeline which would do
this once a week and put those in a tree which is distinct from the
regular daily Fedora. That requires doubling the number of servers and
increasing disk space. Both of which are limited resources on the part
of Fedora Infrastructure.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard