On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 8:03 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 4:16 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 1:55 PM Pavel Raiskup <prais...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I'm glad I can announce that we have a new release of Mock.  See the full
> > > release notes [1].  The major change that happened is the removal of
> > > 'epel-8' config files, as a follow-up for [2] discussion (and of course on
> > > *devel lists, big thanks to everyone for the discussion).
> >
> > Why would v3 not be available for EPEL ?
>
> Mock v3 will be available for EPEL 8+ and Fedora. We are deliberately
> removing RHEL 7 host support from Mock in Mock v3, so it won't be
> available in EPEL 7. Mock v2 will remain in EPEL 7.
>
> Personally, I think people are nuts to use RHEL as a build host,
> because it makes things quite difficult to work forwards, but if
> you're going to use RHEL as a build host, you should always use the
> latest RHEL instead of the oldest, even if that version of RHEL isn't
> in production in the rest of your infrastructure yet.

Many are unhappy with RHEL 8 and especially with CentOS 8 switching to
CentOS 8 Stream without up front discussion, and have issued internal
policies not to use it at all. Discarding RHEL 7 and CentOS 7  for
EPEL, and by implication Amazon Linux 2,  will discourage people
further from using RHEL based releases at all, I'd not consider it an
encouragement to switch to RHEL 8. Commercial users are avoiding
CentOS 8.  Discarding EPEL 7 is salting the earth for existing users
of RHEL 7 and CentOS 7.

I agree that RHEL can be awkward as a build platform, but Folks who
want it can use local RHEL mirrors. I've published tools for years, at
https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts, to help people build
internal RHEL mirrors for just such usages. They're a useful basis for
snapshotting RHEL, CentOS 8 Stream and EPEL for locked internal
mirrors, and useful for setting EPEL to use "rsync -a" rather than
"rsync -a --delete" and and locally running "createrepo" to aggregate
rather than prune EPEL repos for rolling back individual components.