On Wed, Jan 12, 2022, at 4:05 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 02:53:52PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Should /usr be independently portable? And is that with a version
>> matched /opt, or can there be mix and match revisions of /usr and
>> /opt?
>
> We have three similar locations: /usr (system vendor tree),
> /usr/local (admin non-packages installations), /opt (external vendor tree).
> In other words, both /usr and /opt are for packages, but from different
> sources. As an admin, you'd want to treat both package types the same,
> and e.g. roll them back together. So having a separate tree for /opt
> doesn't make much sense.
>
> [At some point in the future] /opt should be renamed to /usr/opt and
> symlinked for backwards compat.

Unfortunately, real world RPMs that install into /opt also have e.g. log files
in /opt/somesoftware/log, not /var/log/somesoftware.  So it can't be underneath
the read-only /usr mount.  This is why rpm-ostree just straight up rejects RPMs
that install into /opt.
https://github.com/coreos/rpm-ostree/issues/233

I think I agree with Chris that really what we want is a separate rpmdb for
this.  That would mean these packages don't participate in offline
transactional updates, can't be rolled back etc.