On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 2:07 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 02:53:52PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > Should /usr be independently portable? And is that with a version
> > matched /opt, or can there be mix and match revisions of /usr and
> > /opt?
>
> We have three similar locations: /usr (system vendor tree),
> /usr/local (admin non-packages installations), /opt (external vendor tree).
> In other words, both /usr and /opt are for packages, but from different
> sources. As an admin, you'd want to treat both package types the same,
> and e.g. roll them back together. So having a separate tree for /opt
> doesn't make much sense.
>
> [At some point in the future] /opt should be renamed to /usr/opt and
> symlinked for backwards compat.

I'm not attached to it being moved one way or another. But if there's
a need or want for /opt to be truly independent from /usr, the idea of
rolling back /usr while keeping /opt current or vice versa, then I'd
say the packages wanting to use /opt need to exclusively use /opt and
variants like /etc/opt and /var/opt.

> > To what degree do rpm and dnf intend to touch locations outside of
> > /usr *and care* about tracking those changes?
>
> Traditionally, packages installed all kinds of files all over the place.
> But we're slowly and painfully moving towards the model where:
> 1. packages are only allowed to install under /usr, /var, and /etc.
>    (Or under /opt, but I'd want to move that to /usr/opt…)
> 2. packages must support /var/cache being wiped at any time, and
>    most packages support anything under /var being wiped at any time.
> 3. systemd and other projects are trying to only use /etc for local
>    admin state, and support "factory reset" by wiping /etc and /var.

Is /usr/etc something that could be a thing Fedora wide? The way
rpm-ostree does it, it's making a copy of /etc and does a three way
merge so you get updated config file defaults. But without that logic
available, is it bonkers to consider applications learning to look to
look first in /etc, and if the config isn't found there to go look in
/usr/etc?

--
Chris Murphy