On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 3:55 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 03:27:43PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FallbackHostname
> > The proposal here is to enable variants of Fedora Linux to configure
> > their default/fallback hostname and to set the default for variants
> > targetting servers (Cloud, CoreOS, IoT, Server) to `localhost`.
> >

> > == Benefit to Fedora ==
> > With this change Fedora's server-like variants will become more
> > compatible with third party tools that expect a hostname of
> > `localhost` means the system is unconfigured. It also will mean system
> > administrator's will see `localhost` and assume the hostname is
> > unconfigured.
>
> I'm a bit sad. This is giving in to crappy software. In particular if
> you do actually configure the hostname as localhost, this software will
> still assume that the hostname is unconfigured. But maybe it's easier to
> accept that than to fight it :(

The problem is that the hostname is never unique. If it was, then we
wouldn't be in this mess.

openSUSE uses a randomly generated suffix for default hostnames, which
neatly solves this problem. It makes autodiscovery and other things
actually work properly. As it is, having just "fedora" breaks too much
stuff. If it was "fedora-XXXXX", then we could probably keep it.

At least everything knows to ignore "localhost" properly.