On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 09:38:01PM +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> >> YaST generates a linux-XXXX hostname when you install it. The "XXXX"
> >> string is alphanumeric.
> >>

> > Also, yeah, I think if systemd-hostname could do something like that,
> > we could do that instead of forcing localhost.
>
> One big argument pro change proposal was resp. is, that many tools
> recognise localhost as unconfigured and don’t work anymore when you change
> to something different.
>
> Doesn't a change to linux-xxxx contradict the original rationale pro the
> change proposal?

My take is: a freshly- but fully-installed Fedora Server or Fedora
Workstation system _shouldn't_ be "unconfigured". It should be basically
ready to go. And it's ideal of we can get to that state without asking a
litany of questions.

For Fedora Server, it may be that "configure your DNS" is actually part of
what's expected. But for Fedora Workstation, that's probably not reasonable
— lots of laptops which move networks, etc.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>