On Mon, Aug 29, 2022, at 4:49 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:

> 1. ZRAM helps a lot here, but I guess with containers when limiting them
> to 1G you really only get 1G since ZRAM works on the system level not
> the container level. In the VM case though ZRAM should help, is ZRAM
> enabled ?  ZRAM is enabled by default for Workstation installs, but
> maybe not in other installs ?

swap on zram is used on all Fedora variants except CoreOS.

> 2. Maybe there are some other processes also taking up more RAM
> then expected causing extra memory pressure ?

I've found 'below' (in Fedora repo) very useful in tracking down processes that
are contributing to memory, cpu, or io pressure - using cgroups accounting.
It's possible to zoom in on a cgroup, see individual processes, their memory,
io, cpu and swap activity. Pressure (PSI) is useful because it results in
latencies, potentially everywhere else. So when you suspect bad behavior in
your app, it might be because something else is soaking resources. Your app
might be legitimately putting memory or cpu or io pressure on the system,
that's the primary purpose of the setup, to service that app. So it can
sometimes be difficult to figure out whether your app's resource requirements
are reasonable/normal or if it's run away.

--
Chris Murphy