On Tue, Sep 27, 2022, at 10:38 AM, Gregory Bartholomew wrote:
> FWIW (probably not much), I have run into an issue with regard to the
> default journal size being too large on Fedora Server when running a
> bunch of systemd-nspawn containers each with sshd and fail2ban enabled.
> When I reboot a bunch of the containers at once (or the whole
> hypervisor), fail2ban really seemed to bog things down and use a lot of
> CPU time (re)scanning the journals for failed ssh attempts to (re)ban
> the IP addresses. In my case, I worked around the issue with the
> following. The real problem might be with my fail2ban configuration or
> something else. But it might be something to consider when thinking
> about what would be a good size/time limit for the journal.
>
> # cat /etc/systemd/system/fail2ban.service.d/override.conf
> [Service]
> ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/journalctl --vacuum-time=1months

What about modifying /etc/systemd/journald.conf:

MaxFileSec=1week
MaxRetentionSec=5week

This should result in at least 4 weeks of journal entries, i.e. it would delete
a journal file once entries reach 5 weeks old, but since the journal files are
rotated weekly, it should mean a given journal file won't have more than a
week's worth of entries. So you'd have between 4-5 weeks worth of entries at
any given time.

--
Chris Murphy