On Tue, Sep 27, 2022, at 10:59 AM, Gregory Bartholomew wrote:

>> What about modifying /etc/systemd/journald.conf:
>>
>> MaxFileSec=1week
>> MaxRetentionSec=5week
>>
>> This should result in at least 4 weeks of journal entries, i.e. it would
>> delete a journal
>> file once entries reach 5 weeks old, but since the journal files are rotated
>> weekly, it
>> should mean a given journal file won't have more than a week's worth of
>> entries.
>> So you'd have between 4-5 weeks worth of entries at any given time.
>
> Thanks for the tip. That does look like a better solution and I'll do
> that for my containers. Although, since I don't want it to hinder
> future updates of /etc/systemd/journald.conf, I'll put those lines in
> /etc/systemd/journald.conf.d/override.conf.

I hadn't considered the container case at all, that containers running
systemd-journald would have their own journals and retention policy. I wonder
if the container default should have volatile journals? Or forward the journals
to the host by default? But yes I can see how many containers each thinking
they have a 4G cap could quickly become a problem.

--
Chris Murphy