Hi,

> > If something is proposed for bare metal in the future, then raise
> > the problems at that point. It is unreasonable to demand that we
> > fix problems for a use case that is not in scope for what is being
> > proposed.  Anything related to bare metal was explicitly out of
> > scope, precisely because it will massively increase the complexity
> > of what needs to be addressed, making the task infeasible. We need
> > an incremental path where we can tackle individual practical tasks
> > rather than trying to solve everything in one go.
>
> Yeah, and what happens when it gets punted again when that happens? I
> do not think it's unreasonable to bring these objections up front when
> this is clearly marked as a "phase 1" Change that implies UKIs will be
> used in more and more scenarios over time.

I want UKIs becoming an option in more and more use cases.  I don't
expect non-UKIs disappearing anytime soon though.  From the updated
Change page:

<quote>
long term plan:
    Phase 1: Get the basic building blocks into place, so it is possible
             to work with and develop for UKIs in virtual machines.
    Phase 2+: Expand UKI support, tackling the use cases which depend on
              a host-specific initrd or command line (see below) one by one.
    Phase X: Once UKIs have feature parity with non-UKI kernels discuss
             whenever they should be used by default everywhere (specific
             use cases like cloud images might switch earlier).
    NOT planed: remove support for non-UKI kernels.
</quote>

I think at the end of the day this will be somewhat simliar to the Xorg
-> Wayland transition.  First get basic support there, so it is possible
to try out stuff, figure what works, figure what needs changes etc.
Then a (probably long) phase adapting software, fixing bugs found etc,
making more more use cases being able to work with the new stuff.
Then at some point eventually flip the default.

One notable difference is that with UKIs there isn't something simliar
to Xwayland, so flipping the default requires really everything being
able to work with UKIs.  And flipping the default can only happen for
new installs, I don't think trying to migrate existing installs to UKIs
automatically is a sane idea.

take care,
  Gerd