On Fr, 23.12.22 08:51, Fedora Development ML (devel@lists.fedoraproject.org)
wrote:

> On 22/12/2022 21:29, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > This is a rare but real problem.
>
> I don't think so. Power outage is a very common problem in some countries.
>
> I still remember how unreliable FAT32 was in the Windows 9x era. You needed
> to run a scandisk check after every power failure or pressing the reset
> button. And sometimes your documents or other files disappeared. I really
> don't want a repeat of this.

Nobody is proposing to run the full Linux OS from FAT. I mean, yeah,
in /var and /home people usually do complex write patterns, and the
files there basically are pinned all the time thus cannot be unmounted
during runtime to ensure the file system stays clean most of the time.

But this is different for XBOOTLDR: the autofs logic in systemd
ensures it remains unmounted almost all of the time, and is only very
briefly mounted whenever something actually accesses it. And the write
patterns on XBOOTLDR are comparatively simple: drop in whole file,
erase whole file, plus single-sector writes for some corner cases.

This is *massively* different from the write patterns Windows 9x did
on its file systems.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin