I dont mind discourse for a forum, although it's "one long list to rule
them all" is frankly annoying at times and reminds me too much of the
modern social media UX where you have to scroll and scroll to
find something you care about.
Sometimes, someone only cares about one subtopic.  Yes I know this can be
somewhat addressed with proper tagging, but that takes constant effort by
everyone involved to make that useful.  Most users wont use them, so its up
to mods or other site users to constantly be back filling that
information.  It's a constant effort that must always be made to keep
things orderly.  It exchanges immediate convenience for recent information
for a more long term effort to keep older information as easily accessible
as it would have been in a mailing list or a classic forum/sub-forum style
structure.

And speaking of older information... there's another problem with them in
that aspect... the ability to work with them offline or local copy is not
possible with a SAAS solution like discourse.

As I do a lot of historical research in open source and actively archiving
what I can for future people.  This is something I focus on and while I
know there's not many of us that are doing it, it's still a thing for some
of us.  Working with old Distros and trying to research how we got from
there to here has only been possible because people back in the day
archived mailing lists and things like sunsite.unc.edu  I can scrape a
modern mailing lists for reference later, and pull up mailing lists that
others have archived before me.

In an effort to be more efficient and "modern", are we taking away that
possibility for the next generation?
Using a SAAS solution doesn't seem to make that possible, but maybe I'm
wrong and there is a way that I dont know about.  Will there be an effort
to export a PII sanitized database for people to use as an offline or local
reference.

I'm not saying that we have to keep using the same tools we have in the
past, if new tools can offer us new abilities that's great.  But I'd
appreciate it if there was a way to move forward with new tools while not
taking away the abilities that older tools gave us to archive things for
the future.

JT