On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 11:02:15AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> I really can't imagine a change for me (and I apologize if that sounds
> really "grumpy old man"... which I guess it starting to apply to me,
> since I was in college when a friend told me about some guy in Finland
> saying "hey Minix people...").  It really comes down to how I use a
> computer I guess; I am highly keyboard-focused, and I haven't seen a web
> forum yet that can handle that.  Some have a few keyboard shortcuts, but
> they rarely fill the whole use and often are not well-maintained.

Accessiblity is important to Fedora, and I take this seriously. For
Discourse, hit the ? key to bring up the page describing keyboard shortcuts.

If you find something you can't do, I'll report it as a priority bug.

> Email lets me have full control of how I consume it.  I can sort it my
> way, save what I want and delete the rest, flag things for more review,
> etc.  Web forums force me to consume their content their way, and then
> when I maybe have a way to deal with it, they change things.  Also, I
> can easily edit email posts in vi until I get my message the way I want
> (for example, this paragraph started out as a sentence further down the
> message :) ).

It's true that the composer is a web thing rather than your own editor
(although there's browser plugins for that...). And it's also true that the
software changes and not necessarily on your timeline. But with that in
mind:

* Discourse does let you compose and save draft messages

* There's a handy "bookmark" feature which I use all the time. You can give
  a reason for bookmarking something so you remember later, and give it a
  future time to notify you.

> I tried loading https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/ in Lynx, but it's
> way too "busy" to be able to visually browse it, and of course it has
> the "best viewed with JavaScript enabled" tag, which is usually
> kiss-of-death for Lynx users (in fact, I couldn't see a way to log in or
> post/comment).

I'm actually pretty impressed with how decent it is in elinks for a modern
website. I do think you need Javascript to post, though. (And our elinks
does not seem to be built with such support, which probably isn't sufficient
anyway, alas.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>