On 4/21/23 23:20, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Matthew Miller:

Big threads are … bad, actually
-------------------------------

When we have something to talk about, it tends to explode into a big
thread. The  thing in January with FESCo’s frame pointers decision
(https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/RNJZUX3ZI34DIX6E4PVDKYQWCOFDQ4UY/#RNJZUX3ZI34DIX6E4PVDKYQWCOFDQ4UY)
is a good example of things going badly.

Most of the conversation was under the subject “Schedule for Tuesday's
FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)”, because everything started as a reply to
that. That’s pretty easy to overlook. It’s possible for replies to
change  the subject when replying, but that can’t be done
retroactively, and then isn’t consistent (and it breaks threading in
Gmail, too).

Then, things got rather hostile, making it hard to have a reasonable
conversation about the issues (both technical and procedural). And
then, things went in circles without adding anything new.

This could have all gone a lot better.
You brought up fairly concrete examples, but I don't see how the
platform matters in those cases.  Someone would need to shut down or
delete (parts of) conversations more or less arbitrarily, even if they
are not actively harmful as such, simply because they create too much
work for others to follow.

Surely that's not something you are willing to do?

For lists that are active, the split is confusing — when should
something be on the packaging list rather than devel? What happens when
something is related to both Cloud and Server, or Workstation and KDE?
One can post to both lists, but if someone replies and isn’t subscribed
to both, the conversation gets split.
Do Fedora mailing lists reject mail from non-members, and redirect