On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 04:04:33PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> > > And install kernels to /boot/efi in case /boot is not a XBOOTLDR
> > > filesystem?
> >
> > If /boot is not a XBOOTLDR, then we only have one file system which is
> > the ESP. It could be mounted on /boot or on /efi or maybe even /boot/efi
> > (*).
> > The kernels would then go to /boot/EFI/Linux, /efi/EFI/Linux, or
> > /boot/efi/EFI/Linux,
> > respectively. (When you write /boot/efi, it's not clear what exactly you
> > mean. The duplication of "efi" and "EFI" on on case-insensitive system
> > is confusing.)
>
> I meant ESP mounted at /boot/efi (and therefore UKIs in /boot/efi/EFI/Linux).

OK. I think we want to change this:
- as Lennart mentioned in the other reply, we want automount with
  expiration after a fairly short timeout, and that effectively means
  no nesting.
- nesting also means that (potentially) we have to modify the upper volume
  to create a directory, at things are ugly if the directory exists but
  is not empty.

Keeping both mount points independent is just nicer.

> > (*) This is actually something that'd need to be figure out.
> > /boot/efi is the worst choice; either /boot or /efi would be OK,
> > but something needs to be chosen.
>
> /boot/efi is clearly not ideal for a number of reasons, but this is what
> we have today and changing this opens up another can of worms.  For
> starters this will stop working:
>
>     # rpm -ql shim-x64
>     /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
>     /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fbx64.efi
>     /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/BOOTX64.CSV

That's actually an anti-feature that needs to go. Packages should not
use rpm to put files directly in /boot. Systemd doesn't do this, the
kernel doesn't do this (except for %ghost files). grub2 does some
directories, but thankfully no files, and shim must stop too.

Stuff that rpm manages should be under /usr, and scriptlets should
do installation if the config is appropriate. /boot is also subject
to external modifications and management, and rpm just isn't the
right tool for this. Installing files via rpms also makes it hard
to install but not use the package (based on local configuration),
or to consume the package for other things (e.g. just booting vms
or building images, etc.).

> If we are going to change this the only option which makes sense to me
> is to go for the systemd default: ESP (if present) mounted at /efi,
> XBOOTLDR (if present) mounted at /boot.

Yeah. But either choice means that the path harcoding is broken.

Zbyszek