On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 2:31 PM Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> said:
> > What about the increasing growth in linux-firmware and in particular the
> NVIDIA firmware requirements? My reading suggests it's significant and the
> future growth also significant.
>
> Could we use a dumb framebuffer in initrd and get rid of all the GPU
> firmware from the image?

The main concern about using efifb during the initrd is handling situations
like:

 - Laptop has the lid closed
 - External monitor is connected to a HDMI port that is only connected to
the discrete GPU or otherwise not lit up by EFI
 - We need to prompt for the passphrase to unlock the root partition

It *mostly* would work fine - and maybe we're OK with that (especially if
we can reduce interaction with the initrd).

- Owen