On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 12:24 AM Jens-Ulrik Petersen
<peter...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 1:49 PM Dridi Boukelmoune
> <dridi.boukelmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 3:50 AM Jens-Ulrik Petersen <peter...@redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>> > For example I could suggest we change the default fedora bash prompt from:
>> > PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
>> > to something like:
>> > PS1="\[\e[\${PROMPT_COLOR}m\][\u@\h \W]\[\e[0m\]\\$ ".
>>
>> Maybe make it ${PROMPT_COLOR:-1;32} to have a default value without
>> polluting the environment?
>

> Thanks for the suggesion
>
> Personally I think that's reasonable: however I was also being cautious in
> the sense of making it easy for people to opt out of the color prompt.
> Also it is not really pollution: PROMPT_COLOUR is actually used for each
> prompt and in theory it could be changed dynamically (maybe by PROMPT_COMMAND
> etc, shrug?).
> But if there is broad consensus wouldn't mind I guess.

Both Debian/Ubuntu and SUSE distributions color the prompt for
different purposes:

* Debian/Ubuntu colors the normal user prompt and leave the root user
prompt alone
* SUSE colors the root user prompt and leaves the normal user prompt alone

I actually would prefer that we color both, and make it obvious that
"root" is special. We should account for common color-blindness
issues, though.