On Tue, May 23, 2023, at 1:08 AM, Jens-Ulrik Petersen wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 12:47 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I actually would prefer that we color both, and make it obvious that
>> "root" is special. We should account for common color-blindness
>> issues, though.
>
> Sure, I think I agree: perhaps purple for root?

I think if we avoid the need to distinguish between redish and greenish, it's
OK. Redish includes red, pink, magenta. Greenish includes green, cyan, sky blue.

Ergo, you can use green or red, you just don't want to make the A vs B red and
green because they will look the same to anyone with a red/green color
discrimination limitation.

Much less common is blue/yellow. I don't have data handy but off the top of my
head, tritonopia and tritonomaly cases will notice the difference between
purple vs orange OK. We do have publicly available math to predict the
discrimination of various nopias and nomalies; I'm not sure exactly how it's
implemented in GIMP but there is a "color deficient vision" filter should give
an adequate idea whether or not a design has expected/sufficient/desired
differentiation of elements based on color. (We don't actually know what
anyone's color experience is, as it turns out. That's what I mean by this.)

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-display-filter-dialog.html

> I am all for "color blind testing" (though I am not completely sure that
> "color-blind" is the right term here
> though I am not an a11y expert - I thought color blind is more about
> differentiating different colors like green and red,
> but if you mean visual impairment/contrast/readability then I completely
> agree).

It's common vernacular. But it's more interesting than this term because it
suggests one variety or effect. There are more than several. If we consider
"color blind" means total lack of color discrimination, or monochromat - they
are rare. I don't even know the number. Dichromats are much more common, where
these are broken down into whether it's the long, medium, or short wavelngth
cone is missing (entirely). The world does have some color, we think, at least
there's discrimination possible. But it's of course limited without a third
color receptor. Quite a lot more common are tricromats with anomalous spectral
sensitivity of one of the receptors, i.e. the long wavelength cone might be
green shifted, so it's more sensitive to yellows than the "standard observer".
This then questions the whole age old concept of the standard observer, and for
a while now it's been suspected we need more than one standard observer -
because, well, they did all these tests in the early 1900's with something like
50 people. Seriously. And that's the data still largely used today. Anyway...

I tend to call it a color discrimination variance. Or limitation.

Oh and there are such folks as quadchromats. They have four color receptors.
And then still there's the entire non-human animal kingdom full of completely
different receptor peak wavelenth sensitivities, including tetrachromats and
pentachromats.

> I think in the end it will come down also to wider user testing since there
> are so many different terminals
> and color palettes around.
>
> Anyway that's why I proposed green since it seems to have reasonable contrast
> for both light and dark terminals (unlike blue/cyan/yellow often).
> I assume that may also be why Ubuntu and Nixos went with green.

Green is an efficient color choice. It tends to appear to the brightest. Part
of this relates to the luminosity function of human vision which has a peak
wavelength that happens to be the same as the medium wavelength photo receptor
(i.e. green). So given the same amount of  radiant energy emitted across the
visible spectrum, green will appear to be the brightest.

Light purple is OK, Blue, indigo, or yellow tends to be harder to to detect
complex shapes (like letters and numbers) but I'm not sure of the reason(s).

--
Chris Murphy