On Mon, 2023-06-05 at 16:49 -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> On 6/5/23 15:01, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > I would never want upstream to do packaging, as experience teaches,
> > > they would certainly do it wrong.
> > > Packaging and integration is a job for the distribution; it is their
> > > added value. Otherwise, what's the meaning of a distribution, if
> > > the system is composed by a minimal booting image on which you
> > > add upstream generated blobs?
> >
> > This is really the heart of the question, and it's an interesting one.
> >
> > The idea that the distribution's job is to package up everything you
> > might possibly want to use on your system is a very old one that goes
> > back to the days before having an internet connection was the norm, let
> > alone having several hundred megabits a second on tap at all times.
>
> “several hundred megabits a second on tap at all times” is completely
> out of the question for the majority of the world’s population.  I’m not
> sure what the median bandwidth in the developing world is, but it is far
> FAR less than that, not to mention often being metered.

I knew someone was going to bring this up, but let's be realistic. The
majority of the world's population does not use Fedora and is not
involved in F/OSS development. I entirely support any and all efforts
to improve that, but practically speaking, the people who build and use
F/OSS mostly have very good internet connections. It is already,
realistically speaking, very hard to use Fedora without one.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA