On 7/20/23 11:06, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Demi Marie Obenour:
>
>> On 7/17/23 09:51, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> * Daniel P. Berrangé:

>>> A dependency used during RPM file creation, libcap, is not fully built
>>> in LFS mode.  Once we fix that, we know that we'll run into issues with
>>> chkconfig and update-alternatives.  It's a never-ending source of bugs.
>>> It's not a good use of maintainer time.
>>>
>>> We can't change the overall distribution flags with CFLAGS injection
>>> because doing so has ABI implications.
>>
>> Can they be changed at the next mass rebuild?
>
> Not if we want to maintain compatibility with non-Fedora software.  It
> probably doesn't matter for most packages, but doing a per-package
> analysis is a lot of work.

From this thread, it appears that non-LFS 32-bit software is fundamentally
unsupportable in the long run, just like software with 32-bit time_t is
unsupportable.  That leaves two options:

1. Break the ABI, preferably in such a way that causes non-LFS
   code to fail at load time rather than crashing.

2. Drop 32-bit support from the distribution altogether.

It looks like trying to keep 32-bit non-LFS software working will be an
endless time sink and is not sustainable in the long term.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)