On Thu, Jul 20, 2023, at 11:55 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Demi Marie Obenour:
>
>> From this thread, it appears that non-LFS 32-bit software is fundamentally
>> unsupportable in the long run, just like software with 32-bit time_t is
>> unsupportable.  That leaves two options:
>>
>> 1. Break the ABI, preferably in such a way that causes non-LFS
>>    code to fail at load time rather than crashing.
>>
>> 2. Drop 32-bit support from the distribution altogether.
>>
>> It looks like trying to keep 32-bit non-LFS software working will be an
>> endless time sink and is not sustainable in the long term.
>
> My impression is different.  It's btrfs that is a poor choice for people
> who want to run 32-bit software, have a lot of file creations/deletions,
> and do not want to reformat and reinstall periodically.  The situation
> with XFS, for example, is different because you can supply the inode32
> mount option and get 32-bit applications going again, maybe after making
> in-place copies of a few files.

It should be straightforward to have mock create a subvolume for each chroot
instead of a directory. Subvolumes have their own inode pool.

Mock already knows how to delete btrfs subvolumes, which is quite a lot more
efficient than calling unlinkat() per file and directory. For the many files
created and deleted workflow, I think it's worth taking advantage of this.

In the meantime, whatever parent directory is used for the chroots could be
swapped out with a subvolume for a short term work around. It doesn't sound
like the problem happens very quickly.

--
Chris Murphy