On Thu, 2016-01-28 at 12:30 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I don't trust any of the web browser implementations right now.
>
> The private keys need to be locked (e.g. ssh-add -D) upon either a
> suspend/hibernate, or the screen lock timer being reached.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but at the moment if I ssh@server, type
> the key passphrase, logout of the server, forget to ssh-add -D, put
> the laptop to sleep with sudo systemctl suspend, anyone can come up
> my laptop hit a key and they get to the desktop, can ssh into the
> server, all without a password. No lock screen after wake from
> suspend. And no timeout or expiration for the ssh key.

Why is this such a problem? They already have total control of your
user account; I would be worried about a lot more than your private key
at that point.... You know there is a security feature that would have
prevented this: screen lock. :)

I don't want to ever type my passhrase. I actually don't even know the
passphrase to my SSH key. I forgot it long ago and now can't use the
key without copying all my gnome-keyring config to each computer I want
to use it on. Really frustrating there doesn't seem to be a way to get
the passphrase out of gnome-keyring, even though it clearly has it
saved somewhere.

Michael