The West Mountain interface, like most things they sell, tend to be some
expensive but it is such a convenient form factor and eliminates the
typical USB to COM serial adapter. Time Wave has a similar design at a
similar price.

I have made a basic discrete transistor interface that you often see
recommended but this requires a USB to COM adapter. The old Radio Shack
product was overpriced at $40. The current USB to COM serial adapter at
$28 seems very similar in appearance and description to the one that
most everyone else sells for $15.

Note: If you buy the blue no-name USB to serial adapter from New
Egg/Donner, etc. You will not need to use the driver disk. In fact, it
will kick the disk drawer open if you attempt to use it. Instead, Vista
has out of the box built in drivers and is plug and play. Donner notes
that one of their customers indicated it worked with Vista. That was
likely from my comments to Mrs. D a few weeks ago.

Now if only Vista would not crash from running DX Lab! If only Linux had
the drivers to work well with my Samsung 22" monitor, I would either
dump Vista on my new HP AMD Athlon computer or maybe run it dual boot
for a while. Meanwhile I have my "old" emachines back on running XP and
had to dump Linux since it never could work with the widescreen.
Frustrating to have two OS's that just can not quite make it compared to XP.

QST had a very interesting article recently that showed how easy it was
to make an interface directly from USB to CI-V. The only components that
are available for this are SMT form factor so that does make it more
difficult to work with. I wonder if the West Mountain product is close
to this design, if not exactly the same?