Hi Rud,

Operating skill may not be the prime consideration. Contesters also strive
for the most effective stations in order to try and win. For DX contests,
this truly may mean low angles of radiation, but for SS contests, the avid
contester may utilize several antennas with different angles or radiation,
such as both dipoles and verticals, and use both in a contest. In fact, a
group from here just make a Dxpedition to the Bahamas and brought back
pictures of both horizontal and vertical antennas. I myself have both
verticals and dipoles (no HF beams) at my own QTH, depending on where I want
to operate.

In any case, as you know, emergency communications utilizes people at fixed
locations as well as those in an emergency center or disaster site.

In general, the ARRL Field Day is considered useful for setting up equipment
in temporary locations and proving out the equipment as it might be used in
an emergency. Although not described as a contest, it is widely considered
to be one, and points and multipliers are earned for each successful QSO,
just as in contests.

I think any activity that prepares an operator or station to assist in
emergency communications is worthwhile and includes preparation for contests
as well as proving out equipment setups during contests.

Operating skills for contests are definitely different from those need for
emergency communications, though.

73, Skip
KH6TY