The analogy tying changes in progress to a recreational sport that has the
coincidence of relating to one of the changes in the past 2 centuries was a
nice touch.

However, if there is any practical reason for contesting other than vanity
and ego, it would be learning to become better operators.  In doing this, we
make the best use of spectrum in preparation for serving others as a partial
payment for the spectrum that was awarded to us for doing this public
service when called upon to do so.

But, this debate will rage on for a few more decades, and then over the
majority of the licensed hams will be dead from attrition, and it will no
longer be a consideration for anecdotal discussion.

Wouldn't the energy be better spent trying to capture the interest of
younger operators who are savvy in current and emerging technology in order
to perpetuate our survival?  - - - Or is it better to make cute analogies
and watch the average age of the Amateur Radio Operator go higher than the
62 to 65 years old that it already is today?

Bottom line, anyway you stack it, any way you try to ignore it is that our
inability to progress with the times has left the majority of amateur radio
operators well behind the curve as far as technology goes.

If the easy way is to continue honoring tradition because that is easier
than staying current with technology, then we will get what we are looking
for; death of the service by attrition.

Hate to be so blunt, but I am sure you know the old analogy about death and
taxes.  So far, we have been able to avoid taxation on the amateur
spectrum.....