Hi John,

We don't have any specific places we have been operating, although I
made a suggestion on the HFDEC yahoogroup (Hams for Disaster and
Emergency Communications), that perhaps we could operate up a ways from
the typical PSK31 watering holes. My suggestion, and it is only a
suggestion, is up 5 kHz, so 3585, 7075, 10145, and 14075? Or perhaps
some other frequencies if these interfere with something.

The sound is not like regular 141A ALE since it is 2.5 time slower. Even
though it is not as fast as 141A ALE, since it is much more robust, it
gets through when 141A can not. Generally speaking, 141A ALE is fairly
old technology now, and can only work a few dB below the noise. FAE 400
is even more robust than ALE 400 (apparently due to memory ARQ as
implemented in Pactor) and seems to work as well as, or even better than
PSK31. And while the bandwidth is much wider than PSK31 (about 400 Hz vs
only 60 Hz) you get solid error free copy with no hits.

The feel of the modes is amazingly similar to Clover II. It uses an
asynchronous ARQ, so there is no constant back and forth transmission,
even when nothing is being sent. It sends only when there is something
to send, or when it needs to retry. I have always found it really neat
how fast the other station can automatically respond to a burst of data.
Very much the same thing as when we tested the high speed (~ 1000 wpm)
SCAMP mode a few years ago.