----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Baynes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Having read the petition it would seem to me that the Author maybe has
> some
> form of commercial connection to the Manufactures of the Pactor 2/3
> modems.
> As these are commercial systems which we can not copy or make ourselves
> let
> alone normally afford to purchase maybe we should ban these types of
> digital
> transmission system from the ham bands.  At least all the other types of
> digital systems are open source and can be openly experimented with and
> improved/dropped without any commercial gain or loss to the users or
> creators.

I agree - this is an abuse of Ham Radio except maybe where used to provide
essential services to the yachting community in the oceans.

I would only allow Pactor when we are allowed to write our own compatible
software.

I have raised this with my IARU rep - not my support for ditching Pactor I
am afraid.

Simon HB9DRV