The data on ham numbers/classes is accurate, but one has to be careful
with the interpretation. (Glass half full/half empty, etc.).

When I was first licensed in 1963, only a few potential candidates would
go through all the necessary CW and theory testing, even if available by
mail with a local ham administering the tests. But many of those who did
this tended to have a very serious interest in ham radio, particularly
the technical part, because it was so difficult.

Things changed over the years due to the increasing ease of obtaining a
license here in the U.S. The exam information was much easier to pass
with the publishing of the actual questions and the actual answers, even
to the point of including the distractors! The tests no longer required
the candidate to draw circuits from memory. Now I think even the
diagrams have been removed.

But we have many times more hams today than just a few decades ago. Many
of those hams are Technician class. In fact, when the no code licenses
became available, you started seeing entire families being licensed. My
wife and daughter both had Tech licenses after morse code was dropped.
Many of these hams had minimal interest in HF and we could not get many
of them interested in learning morse code to upgrade to General.  I have
watched this closely since running VE test sessions since the early 1980's.

The information you referenced is from 1999 and even further changes
have occurred. Now with the total elimination of the CW requirement,
more hams are upgrading to the General class and some even to Extra
class, who would not have done this with even a minimal 5 wpm CW
requirement, much less the more difficult requirements of the past.

The percentage increase this year in General class licensees is quite
large. If you are an ARRL member, note Jan 2007 QST, p. 92.  and compare
the number of new Generals for 2007. There are nearly as many Generals
(mostly upgrades) as new Technician class licensees coming in to ham
radio. In 2006 it was barely 20% of new Techs. The numbers of new Techs
is still holding its own too.

Many older operators will continue for decades before they become SK's,
so we should see some HF growth. Another factor is the low cost of
equipment, which is a fraction of what it was in the past and has
tremendous capability such as digital readout, minimal drift, multimode,
multiband, etc.

So I am fairly optimistic that we will do fairly well with new HF hams
here in the U.S. In other parts of the world we may see increased
numbers as the standard of living improves in developing countries.