----- Original Message -----
From: David Struebel
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [illinoisdigitalham] Will You Let FCC Kill Digital Radio
Technology?

Hi Everyone,

I've been following this debate for the past several days and finally have to
add my two cents.

I'm part of NTSD, that's the National Traffic System Digital...We mostly use
the old version of Winlink (before Winlink 2000) also reffered to as "Winlink
Classic" running
Pactor I II and sometimes III... We used to use AMTOR and Clover but have all
changed over to Pactor... Many of us are still using PK-232MBX's for Pactor I,
others are using SCS TNC's All our connects occur in the automatic band
segments... Winlink Classic has a very good "busy detector" in it... I've seen
it work on not only Pactor, AMTOR, and Clover signals but other including RTTY,
dead carriers etc...
Winlink classic when it hears another signal, postpones the connect and then
tries 15 minutes later for a total of three attempts at a clear frequency.
I can tell you that with an active busy detector, our systems are almost
helpless against RTTY signals that come into the automatic band segments
especially during contests... Traffic thru put declines severely during these
contests.

We're happy with staying within the automatic band segments with our 500 Hz
Pactor I and Pactor II signals... It would be nice if others realized that the
automatic segments do contain stations with "busy detector" armed and ready and
please refrain from casual operation there, especially during a contest.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack from those of you that don't like
automatic stations, but like I said Winlink 2000 is  not the only Pactor
operation around running automatically... We prefer to stay in the automatic
band segments... Please have the common courtesy to respect our operations.

Dave WB2FTX
Eastern Area Digital Coordinator- NTS Digital
Section Traffic Manager- Northern NJ