  From: Dave Bernstein
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:03 PM
  Subject: [digitalradio] Re: Fw: [illinoisdigitalham] Will You Let FCC Kill
Digital Radio Technology?

  I'm glad to hear that you are using a busy frequency detector, Dave.
  The detectors in PK232 and SCS modems are certainly better than
  nothing, but are quite limited. Neither detects PSK31 transmissions,
  for example. As part of the SCAMP project, Rick KN6KB (a member of
  the Winlink team) developed a soundcard-based busy detector that was
  reported here to be very effective at detecting most modes found on
  the ham bands today. I have repeatedly suggested that Rick's detector
  be incorporated in WinLink PMBOs -- a straightforward and inexpensive
  process -- but there has inexpicably been no progress on this front
  for several years.

  Our HF amateur bands are a shared resource; no one can stake a claim
  of ownership of any frequency or set of frequencies unless an
  emergency has been declared. If contests draw more amateurs to the HF
  bands -- as intended! -- then yes, there will be more congestion and
  it will be harder to find a clear frequency on which to exchange
  messages. Using HF amateur bands to offer a message passing service
  with guaranteed quick delivery times is simply incompatible with the
  defined usage model for these bands. There are techniques you could
  use to optimize performance -- like QSYing to the WARC bands during
  contests -- but nothing short of exclusively-assigned frequencies
  would enable you to achieve a guaranteed Quality-Of-Service. I
  personally don't think the assignment of exclusive frequencies to
  specific sub-groups is consistent with amateur radio -- except during
  a declared emergency.

  73,

  Dave, AA6YQ

  --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, David Struebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  wrote:

> [...]
  Radio Technology?

  > Hi Everyone,
  >
  > I've been following this debate for the past several days and
  finally have to add my two cents.

  > I'm part of NTSD, that's the National Traffic System Digital...We
  mostly use the old version of Winlink (before Winlink 2000) also
  reffered to as "Winlink Classic" running
  > Pactor I II and sometimes III... We used to use AMTOR and Clover
  but have all changed over to Pactor... Many of us are still using PK-
  232MBX's for Pactor I, others are using SCS TNC's All our connects
  occur in the automatic band segments... Winlink Classic has a very
  good "busy detector" in it... I've seen it work on not only Pactor,
  AMTOR, and Clover signals but other including RTTY, dead carriers
  etc...
  > Winlink classic when it hears another signal, postpones the connect
  and then tries 15 minutes later for a total of three attempts at a
  clear frequency.
  > I can tell you that with an active busy detector, our systems are
  almost helpless against RTTY signals that come into the automatic
  band segments especially during contests... Traffic thru put declines
  severely during these contests.

  > We're happy with staying within the automatic band segments with
  our 500 Hz Pactor I and Pactor II signals... It would be nice if
  others realized that the automatic segments do contain stations
  with "busy detector" armed and ready and please refrain from casual
  operation there, especially during a contest.

  > I know I'm going to get a lot of flack from those of you that don't
  like automatic stations, but like I said Winlink 2000 is not the
  only Pactor operation around running automatically... We prefer to
  stay in the automatic band segments... Please have the common
  courtesy to respect our operations.

  > Dave WB2FTX
  > Eastern Area Digital Coordinator- NTS Digital
  > Section Traffic Manager- Northern NJ

  12/27/2007 1:34 PM