Hi John and group,

I have written these frequencies down on a card here in the shack so I
can easily refer to them. They are quite different from the ALE400
frequencies that Bonnie invented, but to me are just as valid as long as
we can agree on one spot frequency per band. One nice thing is that you
only need to know the dial frequency because this mode defaults to an
audio center of 1625 Hz.

Now, I usually want to use FAE rather than ALE, but I am assuming you
are calling in ALE400?

I am still not quite understanding when you use ALE and when you use FAE
and why. Perhaps if you called up a group call you would need the ALE?
Normally, I would call CQ or a specific station which is available with
FAE400, but since FAE becomes a connected mode, is that the reason to
use ALE400?

The disadvantage to using ALE at all, is that it is less sensitive than
FAE, but perhaps making a connection on ALE will usually mean that the
FAE mode will be even better?

I tried calling on the 10136 frequency with VE5MU and also QRZ but no
luck so far. For general calls, what should we use? QRZ? Or something
else like DRYG (Digital Radio Yahoo Group)? Just kidding. Well ... sort
of anyway.

John Bradley wrote:

> Happy New Year to all!
>
> Just before Christmas, Sholto and I were busy with ALE400 on 10136.0 ,
> with good results most days between the west coast and
>
> Central Canada, as well as into the US mid-west. Haven’t been
> listening on 20M much since the band has been very poor here, I think
> because of more aurora activity at this latitude.
>
> As a suggestion, let’s use just a few frequencies for ALE400 ,
> increasing the chances of finding someone there.
>
> As an example 3584,7038, 10136, 14094, 18104,21094 would work, and
> also be consistent with the new Region 2 Band plan
>
> Which comes into effect January 1, 2008.
>
> For myself, I have been sitting on 10136 mostly, with a few trips to
> 14094. I have come to appreciate 30M much more than before,
>
> And been using the 30m digital spot page ( http:// www.projectsand
> <http://www.projectsand>parts.com/30m/ which Sholto has been running.
> I leave my rig on, so please try a connect or a sounding on 10136.
>
> I have sent this individually to some since I’m not sure that this
> message would make it through all the QRM on Digitalradio J
>
> Seventythirds
>
> John
>
> VE5MU

> 11:51 AM

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php

View the DRCC numbers database at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/database

<*> Your email settings: