--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Brabham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I took a look at it, but didn't bother to register. It looks like
somebody
> started a Yahoo group but did not know how to announce or promote the
group
> to prospective members.
>
> To be honest, there is very little reason to resort to a Yahoo group
for a
> discussion about HF Packet when you have access to the Packet network
> itself. - So another reason the group never took off might be that it
is
> redundant.
>
> 73 DE Charles, N5PVL
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There is very little activity on HF Packet in VK, I suggest there are
many TNCs gathering dust ;-) Groups are an ideal way to coordinate
skeds and help with tech info for newbies and oldies alike.
Whilst there are many people using software based modem solutions, the
good old TNC still has a place, with inbuilt mailbox and you can drive
it with a battery powered dumb terminal, which is great for field
portable ops.
Use the high tech PC stuff when you operate from the comfort of your
lounge!
Mailbox ops are OK in VK as we can run auto, unattended stations if we
want :-)

73s

Jack VK4JRC