The FCC is pretty clear on the definition of a beacon.

97.3 Definitions/ (9) Beacon/. An amateur station transmitting
communications for the purposes of observation of propagation and
reception or other related experimental activities.

Here are the frequency bands that they may be operated automatically:

97.203 (d) A beacon may be automatically controlled while it is
transmitting on the 28.20-28.30 MHz, 50.06-50.08 MHz, 144.275-144.300
MHz, 222.05-222.06 MHz, or 432.300-432.400 MHz segments, or on the 33 cm
and shorter wavelength bands.

There are no HF or MF frequencies below 28 MHz that permit radio
amateurs to run a beacon automatically.

As I have pointed out, a number of ham activities that are claimed to be
for the purposes of propagation, especially PropNet and the HFLinkNet
appear to be illegal operations if they are being run automatically. It
is stretching the rules rather thin but you could probably transmit
"test" transmissions as the FCC says, "on any frequency authorized to
the control operator for brief periods for experimental purposes."

This is why Bonnie, KQ6XA freaked out so strongly with her personal
attack on me for daring to actually ask the FCC for some answers to
these very questions, but yet did not have one shred of technical
information to suggest otherwise.

These issues need to be addressed. Perhaps the FCC can change the rules
to allow such operations in the future, but should the rules be ignored
for now? I wonder if the OO program has been involved with any of these
violations?