This rather surprises me as I can normally decode PSK31 stations right
next to each other with no problems at all. Even if they are almost
touching each other on the waterfall. And that is using a very wide
filter, typically voice bandwidth, unless I have some very strong
signals that is desensing the rig too much.

Did you mean that the center frequencies of the PSK250 mode were
separated by 500 Hz? If so, that would be as close as you could possibly
get at that baud rate and bandwidth since each modulation would be out
about 250 Hz from the center frequency. Anything closer than 500 Hz from
the center frequencies would overlap with a 250 baud rate.

Rein Couperus wrote:
> Being so close to another net frequency is not going to work unless you
> provide a proper filter.
>
> Using flarq efficiently you need to
> * use a 500 Hz filter or better
> * use a distance of 500 Hz.
>
> We have tried to put 2 pskmail servers on a 250 Hz distance but they
> qrm'ed each other in such a way that is was not feasible. We had to
> increase the distance to 500 Hz.
>
> To use a broad filter and let the DSP do the filtering is basically wrong.
> The AGC will wipe out the flarq signal to the effect that all packets
> are damaged and no transfer is possible.
>
> To take advantage of the small bandwidth of PSK63 you need to have a matched
> (100 Hz)
> filter. If you don't have that it makes more sense to increase the speed to
> PSK250.
> That has the added advantage of being less frequency-critical.
>
> Just some of the experience we gathered with pskmail...
>
> 73,
>
> Rein PA0R

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php

View the DRCC numbers database at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/database

<*> Your email settings: