Actually, Jack, this makes more sense. In a way, this would be one way
of interoperability between modes.

For those of  us who did Amtor and later Pactor and Clover II, the old
Aplink and later Winlink systems allowed us to connect to a MBO (Mail
Box Operation, I think that was what they used to call them) with any of
the modes and the station would be able to switch to the correct mode
and store and play the messages. RTTY Journal (or it could have been
renamed RTTY Digital Journal) had an extensive article on how this was
done. Manageable, but a bit messy to do it.

So no matter what mode we had, we could still communicate with these
MBO's and they in turn would forward the traffic world wide or whatever
was needed.

Otherwise, just having a new mode would not make much sense to put that
much energy into development. But since regular 300 baud packet is so
very poor on HF, just about any improved modulation scheme would be so
much better.

For sound card modes today, we have the 110 baud packet mode which does
work much better, but of course is about a third the speed of 300 baud
packet and you would need to match your speed to anyone with that mode.
Even then, other modes are so much better now, particularly the ALE400
mode or better yet the 8FSK50 FAE 400 ARQ mode.