John,

Sorry but I know the relative level of activity
at times. There is far less ALE than various
other modes and more ALE than various other modes
as well. It all depends on your point of
reference, just as there is Hellscriber than GTOR
and more CW than PSK31, regardless your statement
as to the amount of activity is false, but its
also moot in my opinion. I view ALE within the
scope of Amateur Radio application as tool that
needs to trained on and have networks in place
for use as necessary, not necessarily used daily
by all, although such use is just fine and the
best tool for many pursuits within ARS, however
its the application of ALE for ECOM where I see
ALE having the biggest benefits to the ARS.

Rather than sitting on 20 meters you should try
programming all the ALE frequencies into your
choice of ALE controller and scanning for 24
hours with appropriate antenna for NVIS below
14Mhz and Skywave above 10Mhz for Amateur Radio
and if you are properly configured you your results will be much different.

As to you what you are seeing on Channel One, it
will depend on the geographic location of the
HFlinkNet stations and what they are hearing
based on the antenna type being used. Some are
using NVIS antenna only, others Skywave antenna
only, some are using something thing in between,
those using automated antenna selection will be
optimum, I do not know what all the stations are
running. The MARS-ALE software which is being
used by HFlinkNet stations supports programmable
antenna selection during scanning using various
devices, the CAT ANT ports in radios, external PC
controlled ATU's with ant ports and dedicated
antenna switches under PC control.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH