Howard,
Howdy, neighbor.
I have
    * an ft857D that I have yet to use except 80m cw.
    * computer-ft857  interface that I bought over the internet from BuxComm.
    * a 25'-55' teletower.
    * an 11 element 2 m antenna somewhere in the back yard
    * the windoze version of NBEMS, and
    * a toshiba laptop that should work
Problem is that none of it is hooked up yet.  If I can get it up
soon, I would like to do some NBEMS experiments with you.
I agree that SSB would be best.
I'll see if I can get set up in the next couple of days.

Chuck AA5J