As one who daily monitors the various OS issues, I had seen both of the
articles beforehand. The PCMag article gave you a comparison of sorts. I
think they were a bit light on Vista. They need to discuss the invasive
issues of DRM which some claim is taking up a lot of computer resources,
among other things such as "phoning home". I don't know what it is doing
for sure, but the hard drive is rarely not doing a read or write every
second or so. XP does not do this.

The problem with these kinds of reviews as they are looking at the
overall usability of the OS for the average users who need basic e-mail,
web browsing, media software, etc. And all of the OS's have that for the
most part.

The problem is that if you run ham programs, and that includes most of
us on this group, you are mostly going to want to run MS Windows
programs since they are overwhelmingly better than anything available on
Linux or Mac. Windows development is perhaps 95% of the ham market from
what I can see. And by that I mean freeware and open source software as
well as commercial software.

There just are no programs on Linux or Mac that are remotely equal to
HRD/DM780,  the DXLab suite, Multiipsk, and many others. Looking at
things long term will can expect more Linux programs and improvements.
Many countries are moving toward Linux, particularly the developing
world, but software development of this type could take a decade or two.
Consider that there were built in ham radio capabilities early in Linux
and yet the programming efforts actually decreased for many years and
are only recently becoming more active again with programs such as
PSKmail and fldigi.

While I do enjoy reading  Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols articles (sometimes
several per week) it would not be fair to claim that he has a balanced
view since he is very pro-Linux and has mostly used Linux for quite a
few years. Without question, he is more balanced than some of the
comments made by the typical Linux zealots who are truly
misunderstanding what it is that most of us want for an OS.

The question we might ask outselves is whether a given OS does the
things we want it to do and not do the things we don't want it to do?
No OS can fulfill those requirements, but at this time MS Windows does
it the best for much of ham radio needs.