From: Tooner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:37:04 AM
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: Vista

--- In digitalradio@ yahoogroups. com, "wa0elm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and I can't find anything that
> doesn't come with Vista. Is anyone having success running digital
> software ....

Hey Eric,

I'm using Vista here (64-bit if that matters) and have had zero
problems running MultiPSK, MixW or (my favorite, and free!) Digital
Master 780 (Comes with Ham Radio Deluxe, see link below.) I've also
had only minor problems with other common applications. But then
again, I'm a geek and a good troubleshooter so was able to overcome.

Don't let people talk you out of Vista. Particularly if you're at all
computer saavy; you'll appreciate the benefits and improvements. I
work on computers for a living, and have seen with each new version of
Windows, people complaining about compatibility, price, upgrades,
bugs, ad naseum.

Vista has settled in just fine and should serve you well. Especially
on a new computer.

It's not Microsoft's problem when companies don't want to re-write
software to be supported in the newer operating systems. The demand
will be ever-diminishing to do so.

That's probably the biggest pitfall for a new O/S; backwards
compatibility. It makes more sense to start over and leave legacy
devices behind than it is to add the millions of lines of code to
support it. Not always the cheapest way for consumers who want to use
the new O/S. But technology is perpetually self-supporting, no?

Meanwhile, if you insist on using XP, which is fine, computers
purchased with some versions of Vista (Business and Ultimate, if
memory serves) have the option to 'downgrade' to XP at no extra cost.

You'll be able to buy XP for years to come. Even today, you can still
buy sealed copies of Windows 98 on eBay. If you're buying a new
computer, have someone locally build you a 'white box' instead of
wasting your money on a Dell, dude. I'm sure they'll find a solution
to have XP on it.

Finally, all these comparisons between operating systems will be a
moot point soon. We'll all be booting to the Internet, saving our
files on a Microsoft or Google server, and you'll be paying for it
like all our other utilities. You'll also never see another progress
indicator! Instant on, like your TV.

Life is reflected well in computers; Adapt quick and often!

Frank, K2NCC
http://evokefrank. googlepages. com

Digital Master 780:
http://hrd.ham- radio.ch/ DM780/DM780. htm