The understanding that I have is that Open Solaris is Sun's open version
of Solaris and I think it may be equivalent. It is a Unix System V
variant of Release 4 and no other System V code is available as open
software. It is very significant that Ian Murdoch is now a major player
at Sun. For those who may not know, he is the ian in Debian Linux. His
wife Debra is the Deb part:)

The ZFS file system is considered pretty good. They have adopted GNOME
as the desktop so it has the look and feel of Ubuntu and other Linux
variants that use GNOME. (Personally, I somewhat favor KDE (Kool Desktop
Environment) but either one would be OK if I could run the software that
I need to ham radio purposes.

I have read that there have been problems attempting to port WINE to
Open Solaris, but I really am not knowledgeable to comment on that.

Perhaps other group members may know?

For me, the big surprise was that it was the first Linux/Unix type
product that could properly drive the Nvidia graphics. No other Linux
version can do this, and I have tried more than a dozen of them over the
past few years.