With the ALE/FAE modes, the basic ALE 8FSK waveform is used, only slowed
down in baud speed from 125 to 50, with the improved sensitivity but
reduced throughput, but of course, a much narrower ham friendly
bandwidth conserving mode when in ALE/FAE400 vs ALE/FAE 2000. Note that
the bandwidth is perhaps five times wider for 2 1/2 times more throughput.

This strikes me as one of the best features of Pactor 2 since it always
stays close to a 500 Hz footprint, with a constant 100 baud rate, even
when it moves to the higher speed constellations from DPSK and through
QPSK, 8-PSK, and 16-PSK.

Pactor 3 can expand and contract from over 2000 Hz down to around 1000
Hz when it drops to only 2 tones in its most robust mode. It only uses
DPSK and QPSK and no higher constellations. At the slowest speed, it may
only exceed P2 capability a modest amount (due to the wider spacing of
the two tones), but has a net raw speed of only 77 bps. I would expect
other modes to perform close to that with similar tone spacing. If you
have larger set of tones, such as 8FSK, I wonder if you can adapt as
much in terms of baud rate speed changes vs. keeping tone numbers
smaller but with higher constellations? And then the bigger effect of P3
which can completely drop tones as needed for more robustness instead of
speed.

Dr. Rink (SCS) has said that PSK modes do require slightly less S/N
ratio over FSK modes and perhaps with always on FEC coding may be a wise
choice of modulation using two tones that are modulated with varying
constellations? Most of the new soundcard modes have quite a few tones
in them, at least 8 or more, and maybe reducing the number of tones
might be more ham friendly and still have good throughput?

Two tones effectively doubles the throughput compared with single tone
PSK mode and yet allows for a relatively low crest factor in
concentrating more energy into each of the tones rather than spreading
them very thin across many tones.

Pactor 3 is very similar to P2, but has the nearly five times wider
footprint without being able to operate 5 times faster. I am not sure
how often P2 can reach the highest speed level of around 700 bps plus
compression compared to how often P3 can reach its highest speed level
SL-6 at 2722 bps plus compression, but I suspect that P2 can generally
outperform P3 when you take the bandwidth into consideration.

But if we only need to change the baud rate of the 8FSK signal, we can
do that now with switching between 8FSK50 and 8FSK125 with the attendant
problem of drastically widening the footprint and the increased
difficulty of finding a clear area to transmit.

So